Social Norms is a new app developed by Virtual Speech Center, Inc. Social Norms is a collection of social stories developed by a SLP.
The app includes 50 different stories.
- 11 Manners Stories: Saying Thank You, Excuse Me, I Am Sorry, Saying Hi , Using the Inside Voice, Sharing with Friends, Asking for Help, Waiting for My Turn to Talk, Personal Space , Picking the Nose, Passing Gas
- 15 Hygiene and Health Stories: Washing Hands, Brushing Teeth, Washing Hair, Brushing Hair, Taking a Bath, Showering, Getting Dressed, Trimming the Nails, Using Hand Lotion, Putting Sunscreen, Using the Toilet, Headache, Stomachache, Runny Nose, Eating Healthy
- Three Safety Stories: Crossing the Street, Bike Safety, Seat Belts
- Six Home Stories: Going to Bed, Cleaning Up Toys, Doing Homework, Helping Mom and Dad, Staying in the Chair During Mealtime
- Eight School Stories: Asking Someone to Play with Me, Waiting in the Hall, Answering in the Classroom, Being Bullied, Being Teased, Recess, Fire Drill, Following Directions in the Classroom
- Five Community Stories: Going to the Dentist, Going to the Doctor, Going to the Hairdresser, Going to the Restaurant, Going Shopping
- Five Behavior Stories: Biting Others, Pushing Others, Pulling Others’ Hair, Hitting the Head on the Wall, Running Away
Each social story is written in first person point of view. They begin with a description of the problem (Sometimes, I may feel like running away. Running away is not safe.) It includes a perspective component (Running away will make my parents or teachers sad.) Some stories include affirmative students (It may be loud, but that’s ok.) Each story concludes with the directive (I will do my best to stay inside and listen to my parents and teachers.) The social stories have a positive and gentle directive and use illustrations draw for each scene.
The app also allows users to develop their own social stories. Under the settings tab you can select ‘Add Stories’. You will want to have already taken the pictures you need before selecting this button.
Add text and pictures for each page. Record the audio. When you’re done adding pages just save file. Make sure you have what you want on each page because you can’t edit these stories.
Pros: An app full of social stories will surely save many SLPs a lot of time and energy. I love the ability to add my own social stories allowing me to customize to my own students. The pictures are well done and relevant. I like the child’s voice used in the app. The social stories match the research and development as shared by Carol Gray (the social story expert.)
Cons: This app is super helpful for those who have the app but I wish I could share the stories I have made for students with other professionals. Future upgrades should include the ability to print out social stories or email them to other staff/family members. I wish you could edit the text of stories that already exist (making them a little more customized without taking pictures and fully making your own.) I also wish there was a picture bank available. I think most of the pictures included in the given stories could be used to make tons more stories. The stories you make yourself are not editable. I wish they were editable because sometimes I need to go back and add info after trying it out with a student.
This app is available on iTunes for $9.99.
I was provided with a copy of this app for review. The thoughts expressed here are my own.