Mid-November is here and that means it is time for the American Speech and Hearing Convention. This weekend I worked on organizing myself for the big weekend! #ASHA16 is in Philly this year. I’ve been to the ASHA convention a few times and it can be super overwhelming. I thought I’d give you a few helpful hints for getting the most out of the conference.
What to pack?
- Comfy Shoes. You will walk a ton.
- Your choice of clothes. Some people will be in business attire and some in jeans. I would say pick what you’re comfortable in. Philly is chilly this time of year so colored jeans, leggings with boots, or khakis and a sweater would work.
- Layers: The rooms can fluctuate from hot to cold. Bring your cardigans.
- Bring cash for the coat check (they don’t take cards).
How to get the most from your session?
- First, I make a quick schedule in a google sheet. I go ahead and block off times for lunch and times I want to browse the exhibit hall (it’s big so give yourself a little time each day).
- I use the pocket planner to browse the sessions available at the times I want to attend one. When I see one that is interesting I look it up to read more.
- Before I finalize my session plans, I look up any authors I want to see and make sure I didn’t miss a time they are presenting.
- I download session handouts in my hotel room the night before. The wifi can be spotty, cost money, or not be available at all! Don’t count on it.
- I use the Notability app on my iPad to take notes/save handouts and comment on them.
What else to bring?
- Pack a charger pack so you can recharge your devices. There is usually bad service in the convention halls making it hard to keep your devices juiced up.
- Lotion, mints, gum, granola bars, chapstick, etc. Anything to make a day of sitting more enjoyable 😉
- A comfy bag to carry around. I bring my work-bag because it has good straps and I can carry it cross body. In other years I have brought a book bag and it was great choice.
Make sure you come and find me! Here is where I’ll be each day! If you’re interested in the FREE PARTY on Thursday make sure you RSVP here so we can send you updates! All are welcome, bring your friends!
Join the SRN newsletter!
I'm so glad you stopped by! If you'd like to keep up with the newest posts and get exclusive free downloads, please sign up for the newsletter! Your first freebie is ready as soon as you subscribe and confirm your email!