One of my favorite fall themes is Leaves and there are lots of picture books about leaves. In early October, I pull them out and do a bunch of activities related to trees, leaves, and fall animals like squirrels. These are some of my favorites for fall (affiliate links included). Fall is one of my favorite seasons and as I was compiling the BIG LIST of therapy materials and links for Fall, I knew I needed to add some books too!To see more book reviews including how I use a book for therapy, follow along on Instagram @SpeechRoomLibrary
Browse my favorite titles of picture books about leaves:
- 📊Publisher: Igloo Books/Scholastic
- ✏️ Summary: This is a beautiful science book veiled as a little story. It unveils the life cycle of a little acorn in simple text and pictures that leaves the reader feeling all’s right with the world at the end of the story.
- 👄 Speech Sounds: K,
- 🧠 Language: Sequencing, Life Cycle, positional concepts, temporal concepts, WH questions, verbs, pronouns, Regular Past Tense.
- 📱 AAC: little, one, wait, up, down, in
- 👑 Book Type: picture book
- 🌳 Themes: leaves, fall, life cycle, science, forest animals, nature
- 👦🏽 👧🏻 Ages: preschool, elementary
Lief and the Fall: By Alison Sweet Grant and Adam Grant Illusltrated by Merrilee Liddiard I’m on the library waiting list for this new title! Can’t wait to check it out! Leif is a leaf. A worried leaf. It is autumn, and Leif is afraid to fall. “All leaves fall in the fall,” say the other leaves. But Leif is determined to find a different way down, and with his friend Laurel, he uses the resources around him to create a net, a kite, a parachute in hopes of softening his landing. The clock is ticking, the wind is blowing. What will happen when a gust of wind pulls Leif from his branch?
Leaf Jumpers by Carole Gerber Illustrated by Leslie Evans
- 📊Publisher: Charlesbridge
- ✏️ Summary: This vibrant poem celebrates the beauty of autumn while inviting us all to go ahead and jump in that big, colorful, pile of fall leaves. Leslie Evan’s bold artwork brings together gold, orange, yellow, red, and brown leaves into a literary pile creating the magic of autumn for young readers. The poetic text gives simple facts about different types of fall leaves making it easy for readers to identify leaves ranging from red maple to sycamore by color, shape, and other characteristics.
- 👄 Speech Sounds: L, J, R blends
- 🧠 Language: Vocab (tree, leaf types), Describing, Similies/Metaphors, Color + Noun phrases, Compare/Contrast,Possessive S, Pronoun ‘We’
- 📱 AAC: down, off
- 👑 Book Type: picture book
- 🌳 Themes: fall, leaves
- 👦🏽 👧🏻 Ages: Preschool, Elementary
There was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Leaf That wild old lady is back swallowing fall-themed items. What can you make from leaves, clothes, a pumpkin, and rope? That’s right, a scarecrow!
You can snag the speech therapy book companion for this title here.
Bella’s Fall Coat by Lynn Plourde Illustrated by Susan Gal Bella loves the sights and sounds of fall–the crinkle-crackle of fallen leaves, the crunch of crisp, red apples, the honking and flapping of migrating geese. She wants the season to last forever. She also wants her fall coat–the one her Grams made especially for her–to last forever. But the coat is worn-out and too small. . . . With a snip and a whir, Grams makes sure Bella will be warm when the first snowflakes fall.
Sweep by Louise Greig Illustrated by Júlia Sardà Ed’s bad mood begins as something really small, hardly a thing at all. But before long it grows, gathers pace, and spreads through the whole town. Can Ed sweep his troubles away?
We’re Going on a Leaf Hunt by Steve Metzger, Illustrated by Miki Sakamoto
- 📊Publisher: Scholastic
- ✏️ Summary: Three friends have a big adventure hiking over a mountain and through a forest to collect leaves of all kinds and colors. What will they do with all their leaves at the end of the story? Jump and play in them, of course!
- 👄 Speech Sounds: L, V, R blends, S blends
- 🧠 Language: Positional concepts, Repetitive text, We pronoun,
- 📱 AAC: up, go, pick, I
- 👑 Book Type: Repetitive Text, Picture Book
- 🌳 Themes: Leaves, Fall, Diverse Characters
- 👦🏽 👧🏻 Ages: Preschool, Early Elementary
Goodbye Summer, Hello Autumn by Kenard Pak Join a young girl as she takes a walk through forest and town, greeting all the signs of the coming season. In a series of conversations with every flower and creature and gust of wind, she says good-bye to summer and welcomes autumn.
That’s not my squirrel Usborne Book: There are five mischievous squirrels to meet in this touchy-feely board book, all with soft noses, rough paws and fluffy tails. The bright pictures and textured patches for babies and toddlers to stroke are specially designed to develop sensory and language awareness. A delightful book to share with little ones.
Mouse’s First Fall One cool day Mouse and Minka venture out to play. From leaves of all colors—red, yellow, orange to brown—to leaves of all shapes and sizes—Mouse learns what makes fall such a special season! Before their fun, fall day is over, Mouse takes a big “leap!”
The Busy Little Squirrel by Nancy Tafuri The leaves have started to fall. The air is cold. Squirrel needs to get ready for winter. He cannot nibble with the mice. He does not have time to hop with the frogs or run with the dogs. Will this busy little squirrel ever slow down?
Secrets of Animal Camouflage: Shine a Light Book Bright, punchy artwork makes every page an adventure in the latest title in the best-selling Shine-A-Light series. A hidden world of snow-covered Arctic foxes, tree-trunk hiding owls, and perfectly camouflaged butterflies will be revealed as you hold the pages to the light.
Walk and See 1, 2, 3 by Rosalind Beardshaw Follow two children on an autumnal day in the countryside, bringing a narrative feel to this simple book for very young readers.
Now it’s your turn! Tell me your favorite picture book about leaves!
Join the SRN newsletter!
I'm so glad you stopped by! If you'd like to keep up with the newest posts and get exclusive free downloads, please sign up for the newsletter! Your first freebie is ready as soon as you subscribe and confirm your email!