I’m back with another 10 SLP Ways to Play! Today I’m sharing ways to play with play tape!
Play tape is masking tape that looks like roads and train tracks. You can purchase the play tape in specialty play stores. It’s available on Amazon (I put the affiliate links below so you can easily jump over there.) I caught mine on Zulily a few months back! It comes in both roads and train tracks with a variety of colors and track varieties.
1. Single Words Utterance: (Stop, Go, On, Jump)
2. Positional Concepts. These are a no brainer! I printed Boardmaker symbols to label then on a rug in one of our classrooms. In the mud. Over the water. These symbols really seemed to help.
3. Opposites (long, short, up, down). Long and short roads! Even some road that went up table legs!
4. Together, Apart, Near, Far. Some of these more abstract concepts are really easy to target when building your roads!
5. Possessive Pronouns: His, Hers, Mine, Our, and Yours: Give one color/type of road to each student. Then work on possessive pronouns in sentences.
6. Articulation Highway. Name the roads and tracks with sounds. Make that sound (or name the word) while you drive over the road.
7. Irregular Verbs (drove, went, flew). These early irregulars are easy to target many times while playing!
8. Asking Questions: We named our roads. To cross my road the child needed to ask if they were allowed. “Jenna, May I cross Jenna Blvd.?” This was also great practice for getting each other’s attention to
9. Asking Questions: I wrote the different WH question words on tape. WHO, WHERE, and WHAT. To cross the street the kids has to answer a question of that type each time they wanted to pass!
10. Following Directions. We worked on two step directions while building cities. “Build a hospital and then a school.” “Drive on the orange tape and then the purple tape.”
10 quick and simple ways to play with Play Tape! Have you tried it before? I’d love to hear about your experiences!
Join the SRN newsletter!
I'm so glad you stopped by! If you'd like to keep up with the newest posts and get exclusive free downloads, please sign up for the newsletter! Your first freebie is ready as soon as you subscribe and confirm your email!