What skills do I use visuals for? ALL SKILLS!! If I want to remind students about grammar rules, I hang a visual. If I want to remind students of the steps for inferring questions based on stories heard/read, I hang a visual!
What do my visuals entail? I try to provide examples and steps for how to achieve each task/skill. For example, when teaching main idea:
Another example, when teaching complex directions such as before vs. after:
You can access this freebie visual for responding to basic wh- questions.
- Custom Boards app
- Index cards!!!
- Visuals from my themed activity packs
- Sentence strips
Things to consider for using and creating visuals from Miss Speechie:
- · What skill are you trying to elicit?
- · How can you teach it differently?
- · How can you break down steps on how to achieve certain skills?
- · What program do you have to make creating visuals easy?
- · How can you keep materials and visuals easily accessible?
- · Where can you hang the visuals for students to be able to view easily?
- · How can you prompt students to use visuals to develop skills and carry them over?
- · How can you limit the language as much as possible?
- · How can you add images to help students visualize and understand?
I have provided a fun freebie visual that I use to encourage students to express when they are having trouble and need help! I do NOT accept “I don’t know!” Click HERE to access this fun visual freebie!
Those are just a few tips and examples that have worked for me in my therapy room with a variety of students of different ages. I am always trying to come up with ways to instruct and prompt students so that they can be successful and eventually independent.
Miss Speechie, M.S. CCC-SLP is a licensed Speech-Language Pathologist and author of the blog Speech Time Fun. She currently works with elementary students and private clients in a home care setting. Find her on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and TeacherspayTeachers.
Join the SRN newsletter!
I'm so glad you stopped by! If you'd like to keep up with the newest posts and get exclusive free downloads, please sign up for the newsletter! Your first freebie is ready as soon as you subscribe and confirm your email!