Using Comics for Inferences

Several of my 4th and 5th graders are working on inferences. We started with this inferencing poster. We talked all about how we use inferences in everyday life. We role played some skits to work on social inferencing and now we’ve moved on to using comics! These comics are great because they are short. They deal with a lot of pictures and they engage the kids. I’m finding them to be a good step before actually working on inferencing from paragraphs or book (which give don’t provide the visuals). Although we’re explicitly working on inferencing, these activities also work on cause/effect, prediction, sequencing and figurative language. We also throw in some explanations of the humor for my students on the autism spectrum in the group. To use the comics, I start by modeling the steps several times. I model my thinking for each step. Even with modeling, it’s a pretty difficult skill for language disordered kiddos. The comics in your download are displayed twice. On one comic strip, a speech bubble is blocked off. Print both copies and glue them back to back before laminating. Instruct your student to  read the comic  and make an inference (using context clues and their schema) about what the comic could say. After they take a guess and the group discusses, flip the comic over to see the full original version. Pick up your copy HERE. If you use this activity, pass is along to a colleague, become a follower and leave a comment.

Thank you for posting this!!! I am teaching making inferences next week and needed some new lesson ideas. I really think my students will enjoy this activity and understand the skill :)

I just wanted to tell you that I used this lesson yesterday and the students caught on right away! They loved it and so did I. We are using the Phineas and Ferb game next week. Thanks!

Thank you so much for posting this great idea! I actually just printed it out and laminated it today and look forward to using it with my students next week! Keep these great ideas coming!

Thank you sooo much for very useful templates and comic activities on inferencing. Our Grade 5 team is beginning our TLCP on inferencing and I just recommended your website to them. I can’t wait to use the comic activities with the students:)

look scherpbier says

this is great! Now I am gooing to search some dutch comics and transfer your idea

Thank you so much for this resource!! Just in time for my inference activities for my older ones. You’re the best!

Saubira says

Thanks! We are learning about inferences, and this is a perfect “exit slip” for my kiddos at the end of the session!